The history of Higham Town Football Club
Records show that the original Higham Town Football Club was formed in 1876 at a meeting held in the Griffin. They competed in the UCL during the 1890’s and joined the Northamptonshire League in 1897.
The club re-formed after the “great war” and the team started in the Wellingborough and District League during the 1920-1921 season, and then gained admittance to the Northants league.
On the resumption of league football in 1946 the club played in the Rushden & District League where they remained for four seasons before re-joining the UCL. During the period 1950-1997 the highest league position achieved was second on seven occasions, in 1970-1971, again in the following season and then in 1989-1990 and in each of the four seasons from 1992-1993 to 1995-1996. Finally in 1997-1998 they won division one, their first league title for 75 years but were runners up again in 1998/1999.
Higham Town Football Club rose out of the ashes ready for the start of the 2011/2012 season when they moved their home games to Lancaster Park, the home of Higham Town Colts Junior Football Club.
During the first year they started with just a first team and entered the Northants Combination League, in division four and finished a creditable fourth in the table at the end of the season. The second season saw the side grow and a reserve team was formed that played in the Northants Combination League reserve division two. At the end of the second season the first team finished third in the table while the reserves finished ninth.
The formation of Higham Town Colts Junior Football Club
Higham Town had a youth football team for a short while during the early 1980’s but other than the details included on the honours list, little more is known.
A more detailed history is available of the current Colts due to members still being actively involved. Higham Town Colts Junior Football Club was founded in September 1995 by Stuart Lawson, Anthony Barnett, Carlton Queely and Kevin Briggs, and the Club affiliated itself with Higham Town Football Club.
The Club was started for the children of Higham Ferrers because at that time there was no other youth football Club in the town, and to this day, Higham Town Colts Junior Football Club is still the only youth football club in the town. They affiliated themselves with Higham Town Football Club and started life at the Recreation Ground, Vinehill Drive, Higham Ferrers.
18 local children all of different ages came to the first midweek training session in September, but unfortunately it was too late for the Club to register with a youth league so they played friendly fixtures with other Clubs in the area in preparation for when they could register and play in a league.
The Club registered with the Kettering and District Weetabix Youth Football League ready for the start of the 1996-1997 season when Higham Town Colts Junior Football Club registered two teams, an Under 11 side and an Under 12 side.
The Club has continued to go from strength to strength and we now have 14 different teams from Under 7’s up to and including Under 18’s. We also have a girls’ team and a young feeder group of Under 5’s.
In 2005 the Club moved to its new home of Lancaster Park, which is leased from The Duchy of Lancaster. The Duchy of Lancaster is one of the two royal Duchies in England, the other being the Duchy of Cornwall.